TAIWAN TAIPEI MISSION

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."

- Doctrine and Covenants 4:2

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

November 24, 2013


Some fun pictures of Amie's District!

Hey Mom and Dad!

Thanks for forwarding me those pictures. :)  Haha I wanted to see them too. It was so crazy to see the Calton's! We were just giving a tour to this investigator, and I saw them walking towards us and pretty much just stared for a few seconds because I was so confused and surprised, it was so fun though! Sister Calton shared a message about faith with the investigator and everything, it was super fun. It was definitely a great surprise!
 
Amie ran into Brother and Sister Calton when she was giving tours in the building next to the Taipei Temple.  Sister Calton, pictured here, was one of Amie's Young Women Presidents in Shanghai, and they still live there!  Fun surprise!

 

Thank you for all the cards! Hahah it was such a nice surprise to have so much mail last Monday when we checked :) I loved it. And then Saturday some sisters checked our mail for us and I had the last one, with the super cute owl stickers! Haha, I love them. Thank you for all the mail :) It makes me really happy, haha.

Well, this week’s been good! It was weird this week, the first half of the week actually seemed to last longer than the second half this time. Normally it's the other way around! But it's been good! Sister Edwards and I were talking last night and it was actually full of miracles too, so it's been really cool.

I think one of the coolest things is that we hit almost all of our goals for this week! We even got 4 new investigators, and had 7 lessons with a member present (which hardly ever happens, it's really hard to find members sometimes). Last Monday night was especially cool. Monday nights are always a little hard, because we're still in the P-day mood, and it's just a little hard to get back in the work, but we went out contacting, and we only had about 20 minutes because we were meeting with a member, but in that 20 minutes we found an amazing new investigator! It happened so fast. We're meeting with her tomorrow I think, so I'll keep you updated. It's always a miracle to find a new investigator, and she was so nice and willing, it was awesome. I feel like little things like that happen all the time lately. It's really nice, haha.

I also went on exchanges again this week! This time it was with the Sister Training Leaders. It's always kind of fun to go to new areas, and be with different missionaries to see how they do things. It really kind of just made me grateful for where I am. TuCheng had absolutely NO hills! And this might sound crazy, but I actually missed the ridiculously steep, long hills in DanShui. Haha, I like biking up the hills. It's funny, exchanges are great but it is nice when you can just go home back to your area and your companion. Another little funny note, the only backpack I could find (since I didn't bring one) was a full on American flag one, so that was interesting. And I had to carry my stuff with me the entire time we were outside, because we never had any time to drop it off anywhere, so contacting people with all my stuff probably looked so weird. But it was fun :) (she told me that she just found that flag backpack in the apt., haha)

Wednesday night at English class was also SO FUN! Haha, we didn't teach English at all because it was the last week in the transfer, so on the last week you just do an activity/game type thing, and since Thanksgiving is coming up, we had it all Thanksgiving themed. We made little hand paper turkeys, and had tons of fun with the students, and then made cookies. And those were SO good. Oh my gosh I love cookies, haha. Don't get me wrong, the food here is amazing, but they don't really have just normal chocolate chip cookies all that often. All the kids loved it too I think. We took some fun pictures too, so I'll get those to you soon too.
 

 

Another little miracle was lunch one day. So, practically everyone had cancelled on us, so we were a little apprehensive for the long day ahead of us, so we decided to eat Italian food and there was a guy from Haiti sitting in there who asked us to sit with him, and we ended up having a lesson and giving his number to the Elders. Turns out he's talked to the missionaries before, but then the missionary he was meeting with moved, and something happened and he hasn't met with them since, but he's read the Book of Mormon at least once all the way thru, and seemed really sincere about meeting with the Elders. He's just here studying computer engineering, speaks English, Chinese, and then French, and was really nice! It was fun.

However, it kind of made me realize that the better my Chinese gets, the worse my English gets! Haha, it's fine when I'm not trying to think of things to say, for example just in normal every day conversations. But when we do lessons in English (which gratefully doesn't happen all that often) it is SO hard for me! I start switching back into Chinese without even realizing it. It's ridiculous, haha, so don't be alarmed if I get back and seem to not be able to speak English at all.

I've also gotten better at talking to more people. I actually talked to this one girl on the MRT one day by myself, and she was so cute! Just visiting friends and everything. Every time I do make an effort to talk to everyone, it's a great experience, so I just need to make it more of a habit now. People are so nice, and generally they'll talk to you no matter what. And even if they aren't interested, you can just give them a little pamphlet, haha, it's fun.

Our investigators are continuing really well too! We had both B and A at church again! And they both stayed for all of it! It was amazing. And then, Sister Edwards and I split up and got with 2 members, and taught them both. So I taught A, with Yang Jie Mei (the Bishop's wife, she's great), and Sister Edwards taught B with Chu Jei Mei, and it went really well actually! I was a little nervous, to be the only missionary in there, but it went really good! Yang Jie Mei helped me with some things, like the commandment about not taking the Lord's name in vain, but I did it! Haha, I was excited.

And A is still just doing amazing. At English Class, we were writing the things on the Turkey's feathers that we're grateful for, and she put Qiao Jei Mei and Du Jei Mei! (Amie and her companions names) Haha, it was so cute! She also put that she's grateful she can come to church and meet lots of new people. She really is great. She's already in 2 Nephi too. Sister Edwards and I always talk about how we're so lucky to be able to teach her. She's just 19, but she really is amazing. She's set for December 20 :) She's also writing us Christmas cards! Haha, she was all stressed yesterday at church because her English isn't good enough to write them, but we can 'kan de dong' (read and understand) the Chinese. She knows that I know  characters, so I finally said to write what she can in English, and the rest in Chinese. Or just all in Chinese, we'll figure it out. She was so worried about it, it was cute. She also said last week that she had to tell her friends she couldn't go out with them because she had to wake up for church the next morning! Haha, how awesome is that?

We also had an awesome contacting miracle last night too. We only had about 30 minutes, but we met this girl originally from Taizhong who’s studying at Dan Jiang University, and we set up with her for Friday! She was super cute too. Just really nice. She had a lot of stuff with her, so we helped carry it back to her dorm, and she was just super cute! It was great.

So yeah, this week really has been full of miracles. And I've already been here 6 weeks! I'm already on my second transfer! (she didn’t transfer, just the second transfer time period) That is so weird to me! I feel so new still! But at the same time, I don't because I feel like I'm finally really just adjusting and getting into the swing of the schedule, and I know what's happening around me.

It was nice though, during Weekly Planning Session this week, Sister Edwards said one of my strengths was the ability to be happy. And how when I'm not happy, I notice, and I change. She said it's one of my strengths to be able to decide to be happy, and make it happen, so that was really cool to hear. I've never really thought about that before. She said as my companion, she's really grateful for it, haha.

We also had Mango shaved ice for dinner one night, because we weren't hungry at all, and it was SO GOOD. Probably the best desert I've had since being here.

And church was awesome yesterday! We got so many set-ups! I've started to go up to sisters on my own and just schedule times, and I know enough people at church that it actually feels like home, haha, it's really fun :)

So yeah! This week's been awesome!
 
Oh and as for Thanksgiving, we're going to a member's house. Her name is Sister D, she and her husband live here with their 2 kids. They go to the English branch, but she served here about 15 years ago, or so I think? We're going to her house with the Elders, so that'll be fun :) Apparently we're having chicken though, because turkey's too expensive, haha, but that's alright. It'll be delicious no matter what, haha.

Well, I wrote you guys a letter last week, but realized I forgot to write down your new address, so I'll send it either today or tomorrow. I can just get your address from the cards you've sent me now :)

Tell everyone hi for me, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I love you! I'll send pictures later, the USB on this computer isn't working, so I'm going to finish emailing and then try to switch.


Love and miss you!

-Qiao Jei Mei
 
The view from Amie's apartment

So thankful for the reflective vests they wear at night!  :)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment