TAIWAN TAIPEI MISSION

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."

- Doctrine and Covenants 4:2

Monday, September 9, 2013

Excerpts from Qiao Jie Mei's email today


 
 
As for the gospel study, it's going good. They kind of mix the Chinese classes with the gospel classes, so we're just kind of learning them both at the same time, but it's good. A lot of the gospel study is done by yourself, but I kind of like that. I just work a lot out of 'Preach My Gospel' (That is the LDS Church guide for member and full-time missionary work. It explains gospel principles.) and the scriptures, and then in class we go over a lot of how to teach and what to teach and everything like that, so it's a good balance. Generally we have 2, 3 hour class periods a day, and at least 1 of each of those periods is gospel related. So it's nice.

 It's cool though, I'm recognizing more and more traditional characters, and I've even started to work out of the character triple combination (with no pinyin or english) and I can understand most of it. Not everything obviously, but I'm getting pretty good! Haha, it's like a traditional Chinese book, so it opens backwards and reads top to bottom, so it's weird, but I'm getting used to it. And I've been studying more and more in Chinese, and still really trying to focus on the tones. I have Joseph Smith's first vision memorized in Chinese, so the next thing to memorize is D&C 4, so hopfeully by next week that'll be done.

(For those not familiar with D&C 4, it is a section of scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants that talks about being called to missionary work.  It's one I love!  It says:

"1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
2  Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
3  Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;
4  For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;
5  And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.
6  Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
7  Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.")
 

Not much else has happened this week,  it's been stormy a lot, but you know that since you're here :) And there's just been lots of class and study time. I love my teachers though. Jiang LaoShi served in Taipei, so she tells us a lot about that, and Bai LaoShi's last day is actually tomorrow (apparently my district just scares off teachers) so we'll be getting yet another new one, so I'll let you know about them.

TRC (Teaching Resource Center) was good this week as well, we had all returned missionaries, and 2 from Taipei so that was fun. And my companions and district are still going good!

 
I love you and miss you!!!

-Amie (Qiao Jie Mei)


 

2 comments:

  1. Sister George,

    I love your picture. You look so beautiful. Ashley will report to MTC this Wednesday. She is very excited to see you at the MTC. Our Branch in Shanghai will have a Temple trip to Taipei Temple on November 29 and 30. I hope I am allow to see you and take you and your companion out for a treat.

    Love, Sister Dyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami, you are so sweet! I know Amie is excited to see Ashley too! I will make sure to send Amie this message. She doesn't have access to this blog . . . her sister and I are keeping it going while she is gone. That would be SO fun if she could see you in Taipei! Thank you for such a sweet message for her!

    Love and miss you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete