Hi
Mom and Dad!
This
week has been so amazing!! This
week’s been a little warmer too, still a little chilly, and we still use the
heater, haha, but it hasn't been so miserably cold. I feel bad for any
missionaries who don't have a really good coat, because that would just be
really, really cold all the time, haha. And we did go to Carrefour this past
week! I mainly just buy lots of fruit (I eat a passion fruit about once a day,
they are so good) and then some green bean stuff to make green bean soup, which
is actually really good. All the members in the ward always joke about how I'm
a 'Taiwan ren' because of all the weird food I like, but it's just so good! And
I love exploring the new food. I'm definitely grateful for the 4 years I had in
Shanghai, haha, I feel like I'm just at home here, it's just normal to see all
the 'weird' stuff we see every day. And as for the earthquake, we didn't even
feel it, or hear about it till Sunday at church.
![]() |
| Amie described these pictures as 'pre-heater', and 'after-heater'. |
![]() |
| Enjoying the warmth of the heater! |
So,
I'm going to start with Saturday, because that was probably one of the
best days ever! (Saturday was the Taiwan Taipei Mission Conference, where the entire mission attended.) First off, it didn't rain, at all! Which is a miracle all by
itself, because normally whenever we travel, it's awful weather. But Saturday was
warm and sunny, and it was a great start to the
day.
![]() |
| On their way to Taipei for the mission conference. |
Another
great thing about Saturday, was seeing all the missionaries! It was so fun
to see them! I like not being such a new missionary, because now at those big
meetings I actually have people to talk to and have fun with, haha. It was so
good to see everyone. One of the first Elders we saw were the ones in Miao Li
who we had to give our investigator 'S' over to, and she got baptized that morning!!! He
showed us pictures, and she looked so happy, it was so great. He said he would
print out some pictures for us. She had called us Friday and wanted
us to come to the baptism, but we couldn't, which was a little sad, but it's
totally fine, because she looked so great!
I
saw Elder Peterson in the first little bit we were there too (he was my
District Leader in Dan Shui, and is still there) and he told me probably the
best thing I've ever heard. 'W' is GETTING BAPTIZED THIS
FRIDAY! It was so crazy. He was like "Guess who just passed their
interview?" and I had no idea and he was just like "W" and it was such a good moment! I'm so excited for her! It's
a little sad that I can't be at the baptism, because Sister Edwards and I found
her and taught her everything and were just super close with her, but it
doesn't even matter, because I am so happy for her. When I saw Sister Edwards
(which was also REALLY good to see her) we both were just freaking out about
it, haha. Apparently 'W' has a card to give me, but hasn't finished it
yet, so I'm excited for that. It was just one of the best feelings ever! AND our investigator 'L' passed her baptismal interview too! I don't remember if
she's getting baptized this weekend or next, but she's getting baptized too!
They're both such miracles! Two of my investigators are getting baptized! I
still can't get over it, every time I think about it I just get so happy for
them! I can't decide if hearing Elder Holland talk, or learning that they're
getting baptized was the highlight of that day. Sister Edwards promised to send
me lots of pictures though :)
Anyways,
on to the rest of the amazing night. We all got lined up to take a picture, and
luckily I'm "Sister George, the short one" as the Assistants called
me, so I literally got to be front and center, right behind Elder Holland. It
was SO cool. So in the pictures, when you see him, you'll see me, haha. I don't
know what they're going to do with the pictures exactly, but I'm sure you'll
see it eventually. We took the picture, then they went out, and then we all
lined up to shake their hands, and it was so cool! And all the talks were
amazing! Elder Holland and his wife were there, and Elder Hallstrom and his
wife, and Elder Wilson and his wife. It was a huge blessing. And hearing them
all talk was great! I took a lot of notes in my study journal, but the jist of
what Elder Holland talked about was letting your mission change you, and how
even if we're the only convert on our mission, that's ok. And just a lot about giving our mission all we have and everything. President Day sent us some notes
that he took. (I have included them at the end of this post.)
![]() |
| The Taiwan Taipei Mission Conference with Elder Holland (I was so excited to see this picture posted on Elder Holland's facebook page this morning!) |
It
was just an awesome night! And Elder Holland is funny too! Haha, it was really
just a super cool experience. I was also sitting front and center, so that was
pretty awesome, but it was just a really cool experience. Saturday was
the best day ever. Seeing Elder Holland, learning that 2 of my converts are
getting baptized, and another 1 that I found and taught also already got
baptized, ah, it was so great. Every time I think about it I just smile!
So
basically, that was the highlight of the week by FAR.
Interviews
with President Day were Tuesday, and those were really good too. Basically
we just talk about how I'm doing and how I feel like I'm growing, and then set
some goals together. I said by the next interview I have with him in May, I
will be done with the Old Testament (finished 1 Samuel this morning), and be
3/4 done with Phase 2 (I'm already halfway done with box 1, and there are 2
boxes). But, he also pointed out that I haven't actually passed off Phase 1
yet, so he told me to get that done, haha. So that will be officially done by
the end of this transfer. Sister Peay is helping me practice / pass off. It's
just a lot of word for word phrases that I have to recite, and I'm not a big
fan of tests, but it needs to get done, so that's a goal for this specific
transfer. President and Sister Day are amazing though, I'm so lucky to have
them be my leaders here.
Thanks for your advice about our investigators Dad, it's been a little rough this week with them. But they'll still make it. That's a problem we run into a lot, even with people we meet on the street. It's hard for them to recognize the importance of church, a lot of them just don't have the habit of going to church on Sunday. We've been really trying to get peike's at every lesson, and focusing more on who to get...who would help them the most, so hopefully that helps them.
Well,
that's about it for this week :) OH, and I have a scripture like you asked: Alma 26: 35-36
(but 36 stops after it says 'Yea, blessed is the name of my God' because then
it just talks about Tribes of Israel and everything).
I'm
attaching a couple pictures after this, one of the day we went to Taipei. So those are coming soon.
Well
I love you! And miss you guys! Tell everyone I say hi :)
-Sister
George
________________________________________________________________________
Following are the comments President Day sent to each of the missionaries after the conference, including some of Elder Holland's remarks:
"Is
there any question in anyone’s mind that having an apostle of the Lord visit
our mission is one of the Miracles of February?
Elder
Holland shared with me that he was very impressed with each of you. Your
singing of “Hark, All Ye Nations” as Elder and Sister Holland, Elder and Sister
Wilson, and Elder and Sister Hallstrom entered the Cultural Hall where you were
assembled touched each of them deeply. You heard how Elder Wilson
mentioned your singing brought tears to his eyes. You were an impressive
sight.
Many
thanks to each of you who arrived on time, waited patiently to sing and then
have your picture taken. Everything went off without a hitch, and Elder
Holland commended each of you for how you acted and performed.
I
know that each of you felt their Spirit as you shook the hands of these General
Authorities and their wives. They commented on how appropriately you conducted
yourselves and the mighty spirit they felt from you.
It
was impressive to see all of you rise as these great men and their wives entered
the chapel and took their seats on the stand.
The
Mission Conference started a little later due to no fault of ours, and
originally, Elder Holland intended to finish the meeting at 8:00
p.m. as originally planned. I sent him a note in the middle of the
meeting asking him to stay as long as the Spirit directed because I knew that
each of our missionaries wanted to be fed by him. I know that he could
feel your desires as I plead on your behalf, and as he handed the note
to his wife, I saw some tears come to his eyes. As you know, he
stayed to 8:30 to feed you.
And
I know you were not disappointed.
I
know that you will never forget the testimonies of Elder and Sister Wilson and
Elder and Sister Hallstrom as they testified about the nature of Elder Holland’s
apostolic calling.
I
know that you will always remember the sweet testimony of Sister Holland and
her declaration to you that “you are the greatest miracle” even “greater than
the parting of the Red Sea.”
And
I know that the words of Elder Holland, spoken directly to you, individually
and collectively, will be forever engraved upon your hearts. Many of you
were taught by his words, but as I watched your faces and the tears streaming
from your eyes, I know that many of you were taught even more by the Spirit
that he brought and what you felt.
Here
are a few things I wrote in my notes concerning Elder Holland’s remarks. I know
that many of you have much, much more:
· “We only send the world’s best to Taiwan.”
· “We didn’t get up this morning and decide to come here and share
a fairy tale.”
· In 24 months of his mission, everything was “turned upside
down—or right side up” and he said, “I want that for you.”
· “Don’t you ever leave anything to carry off the field.”
· “Don’t go home with any regrets.”
· “I want you for the rest of your life to feel like I did about
my mission.”
· “This is real life. You will never come closer to real
life than right here.”
· “You are on an ascending curve.”
· “Everything you want for your investigators, He wants for you.”
· “You’ve got to be a little more persistent” and “not obnoxious
but bold.”
· “A ‘Preach My Gospel’ missionary is so in tune with the Spirit
they can teach what they need to teach…”
· “’Preach My Gospel’ says missionaries are to go to the people.
We are going to find them where they are and take them from the Sacred Grove to
the Garden of Gethsemane.”
· “When we shake your hands we interview you.”
· “I think this [Taiwan Taipei] mission is poised for the
hastening of the work.”
· “Why is this so hard?….Because salvation is not a cheap
experience.”
· “God never intended a mission to be easy.”
· “It cannot be easy for you because it was never easy for Him.”
· “A little bit of your mission must be spent lugging a cross.”
· “The road to salvation goes through the Garden of Gethsemane.”
· “Don’t think you’re going to have a picnic in Taiwan.”
· “You have to sign on for the whole experience.”
· “Don’t spend time wondering why your mission is hard.”
· “You are being shaped and molded into disciples of Christ.”
· “Difficulties will make you more like the Son of God.”
· “Your family has you on a pedestal.”
· Next to possibly General Authorities, “you are the most prayed
over group in the Church”
· “Everyone wants their children to grow up and be just like you.”
· “We’ll absolutely change the world.”
Take
these words and ponder them."
What a wonderful, spiritual and uplifting opportunity for these missionaries!






No comments:
Post a Comment