TAIWAN TAIPEI MISSION

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."

- Doctrine and Covenants 4:2

Monday, October 21, 2013

Week 2 in Taiwan!


October 20, 2013

Hey Mom and Dad!

So it's only been a few days since I last emailed you, but oh gosh, I feel like so much has happened! (Even though it hasn't, haha, I'm just more tired, but that's alright!)

Well, the biking is coming along. I just keep in mind that it's just better exercise and that it's faster and cheaper, haha. And it's actually kinda fun, haha, at least when the hills aren't the steepest thing I could imagine. And I always wear a helmet :) It's pretty much missionary illegal to ride one without it, and I don't even want to try. I don't know if the streets aren't as busy as they were in Shanghai, or if I'm just used to it or don't notice, but it doesn't seem as bad. Of course we hardly ever go on the freeway like area. We did one day because we were totally lost trying to find out where a less active lived, but luckily it was down hill so I didn't feel like I was dying too much. There is a super steep hill when we're riding back from the MRT (tram/subway) station, that always gets me, but I don't mind it. I've just accepted the fact that no matter the weather, I will undoubtedly sweat every single day, haha.

Well I don't actually know where we were for that baptism, but it wasn't by the ocean, it was just a river. It was actually where the first ever baptism was in Taiwan, so that was pretty cool! We have a member who lives near the ocean though, so we're visiting her later this week, and apparently it's like the prettiest place ever, so I'm excited, haha. Sorry I don't have more pictures this week! I have a few though. I'll explain about them when I email them.

I didn't take any more pictures of my apartment, but I will for next week. And the weather is actually like, perfect right now. I got here at the ideal time. Plus there's typhoon weather, apparently one is in the ocean somewhere, so that helps a lot too. It was actually a little chilly last night riding our bikes home, so I love it. Not at all cold, at least for me, but not hot either. It's still humid though of course, so my hair still goes crazy, hah, but all the people here still make a huge deal about it because they love it so much, so I'm ok with it. I haven't used my blowdryer or straightener once, haha, there's no point yet, haha.

P-day today we're just running around getting a lot of things. I need to buy spray paint to spray paint my bike, haha, so people don't steal it, and we need some more food, and then we're getting some stamps and other little things. I'm going to try and write you a letter today and hopefully get it in the mail within the next couple days, so I don't know when you'll get it, haha, but it'll be sometime in the near future.

In a couple weeks though we're meeting up with a few other sisters, and we're going to do something together on P-day.  And I know our district generally plans something fun to do, so I'm sure it'll be good. P-days are so crazy here though, like, we still have studies till 11, and then they end at 6. But for example today, we have an appointment at 6, so we actually have to leave the house by like 5, so they fly by.
 
Well, this week has been good! Haha, it's been really fun and tiring. It seems like it's been forever since I wrote you, but looking at my planner not much has actually happened, hah. We've still been teaching those 2 investigators, and we met with another one that I hadn't met yet and she's awesome. She works at a hospital a little bit away, so we always meet there, but the first time we taught her together was amazing. I could understand everything and even better, could actually talk quite a bit back! Haha, I've realized that I'm a lot better at understanding things, than I am at really trying to speak back, which is a goal I have now. I need to make more of an effort to talk to people, one so I can meet them and share a message, haha, and two so I can get better at Chinese speaking. I don't really know for sure, because it's hard to measure, but I feel like I'm better than I was in High School already, just with tones and words and everything.

I said in my last email that they give us these phases to work through Chinese, and Phase 1 consists of all the lessons in Chinese, and I'm already almost done with Lesson 1. I really just need to work on tones and more vocab words now. But everyone always says how impressed they are with my Chinese, and that makes me feel good. I just need to speak more! Haha.

We've also been meeting with the investigator I told you about last week still, who has a baptism date already, and I led the first lesson! Haha, that pretty much just means I take the lead and guide us into the new topics, but it went really well! I could understand her, and I could speak! Sometimes I think how cool it is that I'm actually speaking Chinese ALL the time. Even with my companion we try to talk as much Chinese as we can, obviously sometimes we have a random English word here and there, but it's cool to think about. Whenever we meet a 'Wai Guo Ren' (foreigner) and talk to them it feels so weird to be speaking English! Haha, I love it though, it means I'm getting used to the Chinese and getting better!

Yesterday was SO FUN too! We had stake conference, and we were a little worried because we didn't have any set-ups for after, but some members found us after and invited us over to have pizza! And it turned out that like 5 families were there, and I got to meet them all, which I had been wanting to do, and we got to set up with some of them for later this week. It was so fun. That's what some of the pictures are from. By the way, if you get an email or a friend request from some sisters who live in Taipei, haha they're in the ward. They wanted your information to send you the pictures and stuff if I can't get it :) They're so nice. Sometimes I can't always understand them, which frustrates me because I feel like I should understand everything, haha, but I just keep it in perspective. Like I've just been here over a week and I can understand MOST of everything, so I just think about that and it makes me feel better, haha.
 


Making pizzas with some of the Ward members!

I've come to the realization that once you just accept the fact that you won't find the same stuff as you could in America, and you won't have the same food, or be around the same type of people, or have the same lifestyle, it's so much better! Once you just kind of, become part of the culture here, it's so fun! Half the time I have to remind myself that I'm not actually Taiwanese, haha, when I look around and realize that just me and my companion are the blonde ones, but no one else seems to care or even notice, it's really fun. I love being completely immersed in the culture like this.

So yeah, I'm doing good! Sometimes I'll get really tired, and in those times it gets kind of hard, because when I'm that tired I tend to get grumpy, haha, but I never don't want to be here. I realized yesterday that even when I'm completely exhausted and just want to sleep, I never regret coming and doing this work, which I love!

I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm actually doing this, haha. I'm no longer just preparing, and I'm no longer just in the MTC, like, I'm here! This is it! Haha, everytime I get down I remind myself of that and it gives me more motivation. I have to remind myself how fast time is going to go too. That makes me want to work the hardest I can. I just love it here, haha, this is the best mission ever in my own mind. And the people are amazing, everyone is so nice and willing to listen, even if they aren't actually interested. I could live here forever, haha. I probably won't, but I could, haha.

Well, I should go but I'll be sending more pictures at the end of this email session, so you'll have some of those :) I love and miss you! And thanks for getting together that package! It's awesome :)

 Love you!

-Qiao Jie Mei

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment